Sunday, November 19, 2006

I heard it from Lou Holtz

A few years ago I watched a leadership video featuring Lou Holtz. In the video he quoted a poem that moved me so much that I memorized it and have quoted it and thought about it often. It speaks of how much more valuable it is to be a person who builds up instead of one who tears down.

I saw a group of men in my hometown
I saw a group of men tearing a building down
A heave and a hoe and a mighy yell
They swung a beam and a side wall fell
I said to the foreman
Are these men skilled?
The type you would hire if you want to build?
He laughed and said why no indeed
Common labor is all I need
For I can tear down in a day or two
What it took a builder ten years to do
So I thought to myself as I walked away
what type of role am I going to play?
Am I the kind that is tearing down?
As I make my way foolishly around
Or am I the kind that my Lord, my Family, or
My Country will be glad that I was there?

No comments: